Friday, May 18, 2007

Qi Bao (七宝)Snack Street - Shanghai

Qi Bao Snack Street in Shanghai was a fantastic memory of the Chinese holiday.
I really got a taste of Chinese people on holiday. Chinese people are a dichotomy. They are some of the nicest, kindest, most friendly and helpful people I have ever met in my life and they can also be the rudest when they are in crowds. Why do they think they need to push and shove and cut in line? I got to stand in lots of lines during the holiday and got to experience lots of rude and pushy people. They were really driving me crazy.

Qi Bao Snack Street was really cool. So many cool foods that I had never seen or tried before. My friends and I tried lots of fun snacks. And there are many more that I didn't try. I would love to go back again some day and try some more.
Big spicy shrimp or langostine (lobsters without claws). I had these a couple of times during the holiday. Ray and I both really like spicy food. So these were just right.
Candied fruit on skewers.

Any kind of a bird on a stick! Didn't try these yet, but I will, someday... Chicken feet and other bird parts wrapped in banana leaves and other things.
More Chicken Feet. I really don't understand the Chinese obsession with Chicken feet. I've tried them several times, and they can spice them so that they taste pretty good, but it's just skin. And if you think about where those feet have been,... I don't get it! They have this thing with human feet being dirty and disgusting. I kind of get it with the squat toilets and dirty streets and all that. I just recently learned that it is a huge insult to cross your legs and point your foot at or show the bottom of your foot to another person. But do they think chicken's feet are cleaner than human feet?
While we're on the topic of chickens, these are apparently chickens baked in clay or mud. Didn't try this yet either. How long ago were they put in the mud and stuck in the fire to burn. I'm sure the red paper is for luck.
I think this was pork. The chinese eat every part of every animal. Usually it's cooked, but this didn't looked cooked. This window wasn't too crowded but I definitely saw people eating this stuff.
Just another people shot. A day in the life of a foreigner in china. Blonde highlights kind of stick out in a crowd like this. I feel like ET in a crowd.
A beautiful river and old chinese architecture.
Look at all the people on the bridge. Being on that bridge was like being at a rock concert.
When you are in China on a national holiday, you will experience some amazing sights.

I will definitely check out any snack street I come across in my future travels thru China.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home