Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Xian to Beijing - Part 1 Xian

Xian
Since my contract was cancelled, I had some free time. So I decided to travel a little and see some of more of China. I have always wanted to see Xian. So I headed there in search of the Terracotta Warriors.


Visiting the terracotta warriors is a little frustrating because there are so many tour groups and it's so crowded. But it is cool to see them. Glad I did it.


Xian is a cool city. Lots to do. There is a city wall all around the city and there are an old bell tower and drum tower and the city is all lit up at night.

There is a big muslim district in Xian. There is a nice muslim Great Mosque. Other than the prayer mats on the floor in the main temple, I would have never known that it was a muslim temple and not a buddhist temple or taoist or something.

The food is delicious and interesting and there is a lot of really good souvenir shopping. And a market where they sell dried fruit which is really good and really cheap too. Qiufeng's best friend Ju Ying is a graduate student in Xian. She was a good guide and we toured the warriors together and had some nice meals in the Muslim Quarter. She also helped me a lot when I had to go shopping for a new camera.


Xian was a cool place even if the crowds at the terracotta warriors are a bit annoying. The one bad experience in Xian was being pickpocketted. My new camera was stolen right out of my camera bag while I was walking in an underground walkway. I think it was a little kid. As I was shopping for a new one, many people told me there are many thieves in Xian. Many stories of theft.
From Xian, I decided to go to Dunhuang. There was a direct sleeper train all the way there, 22 hours. Very convenient. Very comfortable. See Part 2 Dunhuang.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home